Thursday, 30 April 2009

First Post

I have been thinking about starting a blog for quite a while but didn’t really know where to start. I felt I needed a significant event to justify the start. I suppose the boat letting me down and stranding me in the middle of nowhere whilst I replaced the engine might have qualified, or maybe when I started mooring at Brinklow Marina, but neither really pushed me into it.

The arrival of my new crew member seems to be significant enough. Lyra, of whose adventures this blog is a record, is not the name of the boat but of an 8 month old German Shepherd Dog who I have just adopted.

Lyra’s arrival is tinged with sadness as she is my new companion following the loss of Katy who shared my life for many years and was largely responsible for my decision to get the boat.

I first met Katy when she was 6 weeks old and although all her siblings were also lovely dogs I could see that she was special. She was officially my late Mother’s dog, but there was no question who she would live with when Mum passed away. After a while living in rented accommodation and having to leave Katy alone for much of the day I realised that if I fulfilled my childhood dream of living afloat I could provide her with a much better life. Katy took to life afloat immediately and so enjoyed boating that she would try to untie the boat as soon as the engine started.

Katy untying boat (Small)

I’ll introduce Lyra, the boat and maybe even myself, properly in future posts, but had to start with Katy. She was a special little dog who will always have a place in my heart.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.