Friday, 7 August 2009

Fender hanging advice and spiders

Good weather made for good progress today and now my mind is turning to little improvements that I can make to the boat which are easier to do before we are back in the water. The way that my front fender is mounted is far from ideal and I think I know how to change it, but would appreciate any suggestions, or even being told not to be so stupid.
As the picture shows the top chains are simply connected together and the loop hangs over the T-stud, meaning that the fender can move about and the chains rub on the metal. I also can't see any real advantage of having such long lower chains.
So I'm thinking of using a pair od rings as pictured below, mounted about where the red cross is in the picture above, the rings being about 1.5 inch outside diameter. For the lower mounts I am thinking of just drilling the top rubbing strake about where the green cross is, the strake being well clear of the hull at this point, and just using a shackle to attach the chains.
I think that this will provide a much better arrangement and can't think of any situation which will become a problem.
Whether I continue with the very useful roll of tyre tread that protects the stem post from lock cills, or get a suitable fender to hang down there is still something I am thinking about.

Whilst poking about at the front I ended up disturbing this bunch

It seems that the front of my boat is a good place to bring up your family. I'm quite happy for spiders to share my living space as long as they contribute something, keeping nasty biting insects in check is preferred.
For some reason, Windows Live Writer didn't like the edited picture so I've had to use Bloggers online editor for this post, and I must say I'm not a great fan of it.



2 comments:

Keith and Jo said...

The problem with the fixings on the rubbing strake is they will catch everything in sight and will end up being snapped off. That is why the rubbing stakes are there, to rub against things. Same would apply for anything above or below it. A lot of working boats relied solely on hanging a button from the ring around the T stud. Once it has bedded in and shaped to the stem bar it won't move. If you feel this wont' work then go for the loops on the deck, that is what I have on Hadar. When attaching a bow fender use a length of thin rope each side to make a weak link between the fixing and the chain, this acts as a safety link which can easily snap if needed, cheaper to replace a bit of rope than any fancy device on the market. Just a plain button with a piece of rubber tyre attached is the best arrangement, the rubber taking most of the punishment and wear, rather than the fender itself. Any decent fender maker will make buttons with a piece of tyre already attached.

Regards
Keith Lodge

Andy said...

Hi Keith,
Thanks for that. I don't think that I have managed to get into a situation where the fixings I was thinking of would have got caught up, but anything is possible and it's sensible to avoid problems where possible.
I had discounted using the rings I have on the deck as where I would need to put them would result in me tearing chunks out of my knucles every time I moored. Something smaller would probably do the job though. I can always use some hose to protect the paintwork once I get round to repainting the boat.
I think for now that putting it back pretty much as it had always been is best, but tidying it up a bit.
Thanks for reminding me to use weak links, I never got round to replacing them after a silly incident that proved their worth.

Cheers,
Andy

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.