Thursday, 28 January 2010

Moving again

I moved on to the centre of Oxford last Friday, spending the day there but not doing very much as the rain was persistant and quite heavy. There was no option of going any further as the Thames was on red boards, and flowing very fast.

Friday’s rain also meant that when I got back to Thrupp on Sunday, the Cherwell had risen again and so further progress wasn’t possible. This did mean that I was able to meet up with Bones and Maffi and of course Boots and Molly. This meant that I had various visits to Annie’s Tea Room and the Boat Inn to make my stay more enjoyable. Thrupp is a pretty good place to find yourself stuck as there is a great community of boaters there, and a good variety of walks for dogs.

As the days passed the lakes that had appeared gradually turned back into fields and finally, this morning, the river had dropped just into the yellow. I would have prefered it to have been a bit lower and did wonder whether to wait longer but the forecast is a bit unsettled, so I decided to leave.

As I want to get back to my moring as soon as possible I had a longer day than usual and got north of Upper Heyford today. The river in Upper Heyford was much lower than when I came down the canal, so I’m fairly confident that the next river section will not cause a problen.

1 comment:

life afloat on nb tickety boo said...

Hi Andy, just read your post, how rude of that student climbing on the roof of your boat! I wonder how he would feel if you climbed on the roof of his car or house, for a photo!

Debbie.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.